This page will be a running record of what goes on in my head. Most of it will be gibberish with no value whatsoever, and the rest will be garbage with no value whatsoever. Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, April 19, 2007

winter activites

INTRODUCTION

Live in any area where cold weather is common, and sooner or later you are likely to hear someone complain about the snow. Some times, this complaining is about the winter driving, sometimes the snow shoveling, and often, it is about being cooped up in the house for long periods of time. This “cabin fever” is often felt by people who, otherwise, spend large amounts of time outside, hiking, biking, camping, or just enjoying the solitude that only nature has to offer. Counting my self among this group, I have, from time to time, contemplated the idea of moving to one of the desert states, where snow is rarely, if ever seen. Gone would be the days of looking out my window, seeing snow, and dreaming of open spaces in which I could be free to explore the worlds many treasures.
I no longer feel as though the winter weather has me, or my adventurous ambitions, held hostage. Sometime last year, I had something of a revelation. Why not find a way to actually enjoy the winter? So simple was this idea, that it actually stunned me a little. How had I let something so obvious pass me by unnoticed?
I decided then and there that, since I lived in Colorado, it only made sense to begin skiing or snowboarding. Oh, wait, that was very expensive and therefore pretty unlikely that I would do much of it. And then….I drew a blank. What does anyone do with themselves in the winter besides ski, snow board, ice fish or snowmobile? As I had already found a problem with the first two, and had no interest in the second two, I decided I had to start looking a little harder.
Having spent some time exploring the options, and trying a few of them, I have found that I no longer think of winter as something to “get through,” so much as an opportunity to see to outdoor experience from a whole different angle. As quoted by Kent and Donna Dannen (2002), Enos Mills once said, “In winter I discovered solitude, boiled down, refined, and twenty-two carat.”
Take a walk
During the warmer months, I will often spend hour upon hour strolling with my wife and son through one of Colorado’s countless trails. In the winter, we have found that this doesn’t have to change. Early this year, I and my family discovered “perhaps the ultimate winter activity for families,” according to Clair Walter (2004). Snowshoeing has provided us with a way to spend time together while still getting some exercise and enjoying the outdoors.
One thing that must be mentioned about snowshoeing is that it is, well, pretty easy. Having spent time involved in many other sports, I was almost suspicious at how quickly one can learn to maneuver with these strange baskets on your feet. With time, though, I have found that there really is no catch, it is just an easy sport that anyone can learn with little time spend thinking about technique or complicated equipment. All you have to do is dress warmly, and walk.
Even the introduction of a small child doesn’t seem to complicate things too much. I found that pulling a small sled works wonderfully. As soon as the kid gets tired from stomping around in the snow, he can sit and enjoy the ride for a few minutes, that is of course until something interesting catches his eye! The only draw backs to taking kids on snowshoeing trips are that you must, obviously, be vigilant in your observations of their well being, and often the trips must be kept somewhat short. You should absolutely familiarize yourself with the signs of frostbite and hypothermia, as well as dehydration and fatigue. Any one of these signs should be enough to call it a day and head to someplace warm for some hot cocoa.

Dig a hole
I have often thought of the irony behind people going outside to sleep in the elements, which centuries of technology, development, and instinct have taken us out of. Never the less, I have always enjoyed camping, and after having tried camping in the snow a couple times now, I am almost certain that winter camping is my favorite time of year for sleeping out doors.
Craig Connaly (2005) states that “…the best shelter for winter mountaineering, or whenever there’s movable snow, is a snow cave…They are warm, quiet, and storm proof.” To this, I would like to add that snow caves are also pretty fun to build, as long as you are prepared to get wet….Really wet! I have also found snow caves to be surprisingly warm, and according to Tawrell (2006) “a lit candle can raise the temperature to 40 degrees Fahrenheit”, which I have found pretty comparable to a tent during the fall.
While small children may not be well suited for the life inside as snow cave, teenagers may find it quite enjoyable. In fact, during the construction of our three-man snow cave, I heard my 17 year old sister on several occasions say how much fun she was having. Even during the coldest hours, she didn’t seem to have much of a problem staying warm in her sleeping bag. Admittedly, though, she did seem much more comfortable once she had a couple foot warmers on.
While digging a snow cave may not be terribly convenient, there are some aspect of living in one that make up for this. One major benefit to camping in a snow cave is dealing with wildlife. During the winter, bears are hibernating, and even the rodents seem to be dormant. For us as humans in the wilderness, this translates into greater ease in regard to food storage, cooking and eating. Just keep your food, cook, and eat in your cave. Compare that to all the hassles involving your food during the warmer months!

Conclusion

Over the course of the last winter, I have finally found a way to not only deal with the winters of Colorado, but to revel in them. By focusing this paper on activities that can be done with kids, and for relatively little money, I hope to encourage people to go out and try something new this winter. While the overpriced ski resorts continue to raise prices beyond what many families can afford, there are still plenty of opportunities to get out and enjoy some good company, and the great outdoors.






Works Cited


Connally, Craig, (2005), The Mountaineering Handbook, Ragged Mountain Press/McGraw-Hill, 376pp.

Dannen, Kent and Donna, (2002), Best Easy Day Hikes Rocky Mountain National Park, Falcon, 134pp.

Tawrell, Paul, (2006), Camping & Wilderness Survival, Paul Yawrell,1080pp.

2 comments:

Katy said...

Was this for a persuasive speech? It is extremely well written.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Katy!!! This is very well written. You even make playing in the snow sound fun :)

Counter