This page will be a running record of what goes on in my head. Most of it will be gibberish with no value whatsoever, and the rest will be garbage with no value whatsoever. Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, August 2, 2010

sleep deprived babbling....

"DO NOT DIE WONDERING"

This was the billboard that changed my life. I have no recollection of what it was selling, but the message had a profound impact on my life. From the moment I read it for the first time, close to a decade ago, until now, these words have always stricken me as an indisputable challenge to get out and see what this world has to offer.

As a younger man, I was unfortunate enough to experience the death of my fiance, and still bear the tattoo that will always remind me of the suddenness of death, and the beautiful girl who, at only eighteen years old, left this world before she ever had a chance to really see it. While I didn't realize it then, the death of Joanne would cause a lifelong passion in me to see and do as much as I can before I too make my exit.

This morning, I received news of an old friends passing, and it made me think. Have I begun to take this gift for granted? Am I doing everything I can to fully soak up the full benefit of this blessing called life and how can I live more completely? All of these questions led me to naturally wonder about all of my friends and family. Are you letting your life pass you by while letting the television rob you of the experiences that are out there?

As for me, I refuse. I refuse to let slip away the chance to become a good writer. I refuse to waste the moments, wherever I find them, to enjoy my son. I refuse to lie on my deathbed with a list of unfinished business. I refuse to squander away the opportunities that my friend no longer has. And neither should you. Get out there and start living.

DO NOT DIE WONDERING.

3 comments:

Karen Race said...

Wonderful. I don't think anyone could accuse you of wasting a moment.

BWChronicles said...

Very well done, my friend. I think of all of my friends, you and Todd... I can't begin to tell you how much I look up to you for actually accomplishing so many of your goals in the short time you've had already. If you died tomorrow, I would hope you wouldn't consider it a waste, as unfortunate as it would be. I would hope you'd look back and see what you've done, what you've created, and who you've inspired and simply smile as you go off to the next world.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Counter