This page will be a running record of what goes on in my head. Most of it will be gibberish with no value whatsoever, and the rest will be garbage with no value whatsoever. Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Obamas visit to Colorado PartII

This is the second part, of a 3 page piece about my experience during the protest outside President Obama's health care town hall in Grand Junction, CO. In the last piece, I wrote about what I found on the "pro-reform" side. Now I would like to cover a few issues I saw on my own side. One thing that became very evident to me very quickly, was the absolute lack of organization. Now I know there is some sort of stigma about conservatives organizing before a protest, ending in people being referred to as "astro-turf", but I don't care what people on the other side say. I saw buses, a stage, a professional sound system, dozens of pre-printed signs and several professional demonstrators leading all the festivities on the other side. These people were coordinated and well versed in setting up these types of events, and in terms of cohesion and sheer volume, they dominated. The next issue I found on our end was any common direction. People were protesting the health care bill, the stimulus package, Obama's birth-certificate, tobacco taxes and religion. While the message came across very clearly that we were very upset, the subject of said dissatisfaction seemed to come across a bit muddled. Lastly,I want to mention the passion of the people I met last Saturday. Indeed a wonderful thing when kept reigned in to some degree, this can serve to undermine any position if it gets out of hand. On more than one occasion, I witnessed individual from the "pro" side come over to engage in conversation. When this happened, instead of viewing it as an opportunity to present a clear, intelligent position to someone who seemed willing to participate in debate, people began shouting insults and demands that the person "go back to their own side". It is my belief after this experience, that the conservatives of this nation need to ignore all the "grassroots" conversations and gather together in order to organize and formulate a clear, concise message which the majority can stand behind. Simultaneously, people on both sides of this argument need to be educated in our constitution, some basic American history, simple economic ideas and, of course, this bill which threatens to unravel the intricately woven fabric of our great nation.

7 comments:

brianwaka said...

Great post. This is what's wrong with politics today, on both sides of the fence - we have become unthinking, unquestioning pawns of the left and right powers that be. Instead of thinking and talking about issues like rational people, we froth on talk radio and call the other side names.

That being said, we need more politically active people who aren't conservative, aren't liberal, but are intelligent and thoughtful. That means that they will often take positions that will run counter to their own parties, friends and family. That's what a rational discourse would look like.

By the way, I happen to be on the other side of this issue for a lot of reasons but I appreciate your fair and well reasoned writing on the issue. If I ever get out to Denver when you're free, let's have a beer and a good old fashioned, intelligent argument about it.

RyanT said...

Brian, I would enjoy that beer my freind. And if you ever have your family out here, my family would love the oppurtunity to buy you guys dinner.

Stacy said...

Will you buy me dinner too?

I love that you have pointed out the problems that people, on both sides, are having communicating on this bill. At times it seems our politicians and news media are having the same issues.

I wish that people would inform themselves and present clear arguments against the health care bill instead of running off at the mouth about an email they read.

As always I enjoy reading your opinion!

brianwaka said...

Definitely. Although I have a 2 year old and 3 month old, so the only travelling we do these days together is back to Cali to visit fam. I will be in Denver sometime in the winter for a meeting, I'll shoot you a msg on FB when I get dates. Either way, I'd love to meet your family if they're available.

RyanT said...

Stacy,
If you and Brian, or either of you seperately ever end up here, it would be an honor and a privelege to but you dinner!
Brian, sounds good man, let me know!

RyanT said...

I meant to say buy. Not but.

Stacy said...

Awww... you know the same goes for us; however, I think you meant to say but ;P

Counter