This page will be a running record of what goes on in my head. Most of it will be gibberish with no value whatsoever, and the rest will be garbage with no value whatsoever. Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, August 21, 2009

Obamas visit to Colorado PartIII

In my last couple pages, I talked about some of the issues that I noticed on both sides of the protest/rally during President Obama's visit to Grand Junction Co. I would now like to run through a couple issues that I see on BOTH sides, that I think need to be addressed.

The peaceful transfer of power is one part of our political process that truly separates our nation from so many others. On a set date, we go from having one President to having a new one, and often that new man will share very few common ideas or beliefs with his predecessor. This is a concept that I don't see many people considering when they support legislation that has a broad range of powers. I listened to many Republicans argue for the necessity of the patriot act during the Bush administration, only to cry "Big Brother" now that a Democrat is sitting in the White house. I cannot help but wonder how many of the supporters of this (H.B.3200) current health care bill will think it was such a good idea the next time Republicans take power.

For my second point, I would like to discuss political division. Anyone who knows me has probably heard me talk about how I think the two parties are no more than "a two headed snake", to use a term I heard somewhere. We as Americans often argue and bicker over party lines when, in fact, they are both actively campaigning to rob you of your liberty. Sound crazy? Then tell me why the party that constantly chatters about "small, non-invasive government" fights like hell to keep two consenting adults from getting married due to their gender! Or tell me why the party that has argued against the government telling women what to do with their bodies, is now trying to dictate EVERY ONES health care choices! We have been duped into believing that this oligarchic two party system has a good side and a bad side when they are both villains in every equation I can think of.

Lastly, I would like to bring up, once again, education. The average American can rattle off winners in their favorite reality show, or statistics about "their team" in a given sport, whereas I find few that can speak intelligently about American history or our political system. In other words, we watch mindlessly as people entertain us with no practical impact on our lives, while politicians are making decisions about our money, safety, health and children without so much as a glance from the majority of us. We need to wake up and pay attention! It was once illegal to educate slaves because it was believed that education bred the desire for freedom. I believe we have collectively lost our fierce attachment for freedom as our senses have been dulled by the television. Our understanding of the system, how it works and how it came to be has grown so vague that we are allowing those in power to slowly drain our liberties away while we watch, unknowingly.

I believe that it is time to turn off the TV, find our common ground as Americans and Fight! Fight to have our politicians represent the people, not the special interests! Fight against the idea that we can spend our way out of debt! Fight against the leaders of the two political parties who believe we as Americans must sit by silently as they run roughshod over our Constitution! And fight to remain the greatest nation this planet has ever known! Together we stand, divided we fall.

No comments:

Counter