This page will be a running record of what goes on in my head. Most of it will be gibberish with no value whatsoever, and the rest will be garbage with no value whatsoever. Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Obamas visit to Colorado

This weekend, I made the 3-4 hour drive to protest outside of President Obamas healthcare townhall, and I thought I would share some of my observations. In the interest of full honesty, I want it understood ahead of time that I am biased against this plan, and that I spoke to roughly 10-12 people, so this may not be representative.

I approached everyone I met from the "pro-reform" side with the same three questions, in the same order.

1- Have you read the bill? The answer to this was uniformly (with one exception which I will cover later) no. The only person I met who said yes was an obvious professional demonstrator, who could not speak intelligently aboput any portion of the bill, and would not answer ANY question in a straight foreward manner.

2- How will we pay for it? Mostly I heard "I dont Know" with occasional "Tax the rich" thrown into the mix. When confronted with the bills statement that the "surecharge" on the rich and the 8% payroll tax would only account for 1/2 of the amount stated, I recieved a look that strongly resembled a deer in headlights.

3- social security, Medicare and Medicaid are broke, the DMV is a pretty widely disliked office due to long lines and gross mismanagement, and by the Presidents own statements, the post office is getting whooped by private industry. What makes you think THIS program would be better when it will be run by the same people who have screwed up all of the afforementioned? From this question, most people chose simply to walk away.

No comments:

Counter